Maya Angelou was an American writer who is famous for her publishings of seven autobiographies, three books of essays, several books of poetry, and is credited with a list of plays, movies, and television shows spanning over 50 years. She received dozens of awards and more than 50 honorary degrees. Above this she was also a Civil Rights activist who worked along side Martin Luther King Jr and Malcom X.
Maya Angelou is an inspiration to many people and her writing portrayed her inner soul and expressed her beauty with the world. Her most notable publication was “I know why the caged bird sings” which is the first in her seven book series which speaks on the strength of character and how the love of literature can help overcome racism and trauma.
Maya Angelou is definitely one of the great writers of our time and here are our favourite quotes by her.
- You may kill me with your hatefulness, but still, like air, I’ll rise.
- When you learn, teach. When you get, give.
- If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how great you can be.
- If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.
- Nothing will work unless you do.
6. You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
7. You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.
8. When I forgive other people, I let them go, I free them from my ignorance. And as soon as I do, I feel lighter, brighter, and better.
9. Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.
10. I’ve learned that making a “living” is not the same thing as making a “life”.
Maya Angelou was definitely a fighter, a person who stood for what she believed in and allowed her soul to bleed in her pen writing her souls truth in beautiful words which will be remembered for years to come.